Thursday, June 12, 2008

Let's start at the very begining

I had a fitness blog for a little bit, but in true Kara fashion, that didn't last long. I kept thinking of things to write that had nothing to do with getting healthy so I didn't feel I could write it in that blog. So I have decided to create a new blog. Blogging is all the rage these days.

Ok, So a bit about me: I am 25 years old, going to be 26 in December. When I turned 25 all I could think about was being 1/4 of a century old. I know in the general scheme of things, I'm a spring chicken, but I feel old.

I grew up in Florissant, MO and went to 2 schools my entire life. Russell Elementary and then to Hazelwood West Jr./Sr. High. I tried college long enough for my parents to remind me often how much of their money I wasted. I was more into going out, partying, doing what I wanted. I have a condition that is now in remission. It's called "IwantwhatIwantwhenIwantit" syndrome.

In September of 2005 [I really cannot believe it was almost 3 years ago] I was in a near fatal car accident. I know now that, while God didn't "purposely" make me have a car accident, I thank God that I did.


I was on my way out of the house at like 1 am and i somehow went on the opposite side of the road up on a hill and my car rolled down the hill. Luckily someone was there practically right after it happened and called the ambulance. I was helicoptered to St. Johns. I was in a coma for about a month. I broke 3 ribs and punctured my left lung. I messed up my head- I hurt the pons in my brain and i broke my 2nd vertebrae - which is lucky cause that could have killed me or paralyzed me. I some how ended up out of the car and under the hood and my left arm got 3rd degree burns on it and I had to have a graft from my thigh for that. They think that while I was in the coma I had a stroke on my left side as well. I also broke my jaw in 2 places and had to have that fixed and my mouth was wired shut for a while. I didn't get out of the hospital till Nov.18th.

Luckily I don't remember the accident or how I got in it and no one saw it. I also don't remember the whole monthish before or after the accident.

I learned a lot from this time in my life. I learned who my true friends were. I learned that nothing is more important than family. I also learned that my sister [we're sizzles] is and will always be my best friend in the whole world.

So while I was recovering from the hospital stay at home, my dad hooked up my computer to the internet in my room. Score! I found out about Myspace and was instantly hooked. I had tons of time to sit on the computer! Also, before the accident I had met a guy at a club? When I woke up from my coma, I didn't [and still don't] remember meeting him or anything. It was his house I was headed to the night of the accident. He was at the hospital everyday for the first 2 weeks I was in the hospital. Then suddenly stopped coming. My sister found out that he went to jail. We started communicating A LOT back and forth through letters, letters, and more letters. We talked on the phone rarely through his mom. For some dumb crazy reason I said I would commit to being with him only - so basically "going out". That was NOT the smartest thing I've ever done. I visited him in jail a couple times.

Now, while I was "dating" Ken, I met Kevin. We met through a myspace group and started chatting on AOL. The same day we first started talking, I gave him my phone number. He called and we've talked everyday since then, for hours and hours. Ken, "Jailbird", was being a locked up jerk, so I broke up with him, before he got released, thank goodness. Kevin jumped at the opportunity and we started "daring". Now that is in parenthesis because Kevin lives in Bronx, NY. That's 997 miles from where I live.

We talked everyday, for hours, for 9 months when he decided to travel to STL so we could meet face to face. He was only going to be there for Friday through Monday, and my parents said he could stay at the house, they had both talked to him too and 9 months of talking is a long time. I picked him up from the airport and we didn't miss a beat. It was the same, but better, as when we talked on the phone.

Since then, we've gone to the other's city to visit as much as we can. I'll stay at his house and he'll stay at mine.

Well, that first weekend he visited, we went to a park and he proposed to me on a bench. And I said yes! The wedding is September 6, 2008 [yeah that's this year] here in St. Louis. Then, that same weekend, I'm moving to Bronx, NYC.

I'm so excited! I finally get to be with my love! So along with wedding plans, I'm packing up 35 years of my St. Louis life and moving it to NYC.

Well, that's about it! I will be updating this A LOT so stay tuned!!

Thanks for reading it all!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Hi Kara!! Man I had no clue the accident you were in was that serious. I'm glad you made it through!!! And I'm sorry, but I think skin grafts are cool, I'm sure it wasn't cool getting one but I think it is just fascinating that they can do that. I once met a girl who had part of her butt grafted to that area between your thumb and pointer finger and I thought it was the greatest thing ever. If I had that I would run around touching people and be like "just touched you with my butt, ha ha" and I wouldn't even have to be all Tom Green about it.

Cate Subrosa said...

Wow, what a story!

Thanks for the comment over at my blog :)

It sounds like you've got some really fun interesting times ahead of you and I'd love to read all about them...